A Salisbury shop that had traded under the same name for almost a hundred years has been sold within weeks of the business closing.
Sydney Ingram on Catherine Street was opened in 1925 by the eponymous saddler. He moved to the market town because demand had for making and repairing harnesses declined with the introduction of the tractor.
His son, Clifford Ingram – a former president of Salisbury Chamber of Commerce – took over the business on his father's retirement.
More recently the shop was run by Christine Ball. The shop closed in the summer.
Now, commercial property consultancy Myddelton & Major has negotiated the sale of the premises to a local property investment company. The freehold price was advertised at £365,000.
Myddelton & Major partner Simon Lee said: “This sale follows the closure of the well-known Ingrams luggage, bags and leather goods store at the end of July after 94 years of retail service in the city.
“The retirement of the owners prompted the sale of this property and fortunately the premises will now be refurbished by the new owner before it is returned to the market for re-letting.”
The property occupies a busy central trading position fronting Catherine Street opposite the pedestrian link to the public car park in Brown Street and has a return window display frontage to the pedestrian walkway to the the Old George Mall.
It has an open plan sales area, two separate internal stairways, first floor ancillary storage/staff facilities, together with additional second floor attic storage.